Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Look for me on the news one day


The U.S. Postal Service announced today (Tuesday) that it is raising the price of a first-class stamp to 44 cents May 11.

Forever Stamps will continue to be sold for the current 42-cent rate until the increase takes effect. The Forever Stamps will remain valid in the future regardless of rate hikes.

***********

Good grief, I almost placed an order last week at Zazzle.com for about 400 custom/personalized stamps with mine and the Captain's names on them, which only come in the 42 cents non-forever style, to use on wedding invitations, RSVP envelopes, and thank you notes.

I swear to god.... after hearing about what all this lying piece-of-so-called stimulus bill is going to do to our medical records and health care, and how the federal government is going to deny transportation funds to all states and counties that don't enforce their new law that makes brick and/or metal mailboxes illegal on public roadsides... which means that MY very nice (and expensive) brick column mailbox with wrought iron light fixture and drop box for packages inside the column has to be done away with in favor of a cheap, ugly, plastic or wooden mailbox that will fall apart instead of holding up when hit by a non-driving jerk who can't keep his car on the road.... I swear I'd have gone SO postal if I had bought those damn stamps and they were going to end up being out of date before my wedding.

Geeez! It's like we already live in 1982 Soviet Union or something!


AARRRGHHH!

I'm ready to storm Washington and raise some revolutionary hell! Where's a f***ing boat full of over taxed tea when you need one???




3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is such a government thing to do. Raise the rates but sell you stamps that are no god dam good for anything. Plus, they won't buy them back.

The Post Office is dying. Thank God. I hate the post office more than you would think given the calm manner in which I am commenting.

The problem is that the government is not going to allow the post office to simply fade away. It already is Amtrak with a bad attitude. Expect it to get worse.

Chatelaine said...

I agree, Twc, it's going to get much, much worse. The site where I got the information that they were raising the rates said that the USPS would be raising the rates once a year from now on, every May.

I can't believe that some people actually want the same entity that runs the post office to run their doctor's office, their banks, their company, not to mention their very own lives.

I am so mad about those stamps. And they won't print them in the new 44 cents form until May, so I can't purchase the custom ones until then. I hate not being able to do what I want to do.

Anonymous said...

Ordered a power cord for the laptop. It was mailed Jan 27 via Priority Mail (supposed to be 2-3 days) It came today.